My Jolly Father-In-Law

We knew each other for fourteen years, yet never made it to a first name basis.

Perhaps it was that visits between us were rare or perhaps  it was that when fine dining, city living and classical music meet frugal eating, farm life and tone deaf, at least one party is left smiling and nodding no matter who leads the conversation.

But I always knew who it was when the phone rang,

“Hello! This is your Jolly Father-In-Law!”

Once it had been established that “Curly” was at work, our occasional evening conversations would meander.  We’d take turns nodding and smiling over the airwaves and I could picture him in his high backed chair, drink ever present at his side, as I heard about fantastic places to eat in cities I’m unlikely to visit. I would pick up the house as we talked, in my turn sharing a few ridiculous stories of life in the country. There would often be a few moments of bonding over a shared Finnish heritage and then with a final question over when John would be home, that would inevitably be forgotten, he’d be off.

No, we never used first names but that doesn’t mean I’d forget my Jolly Father-In-Law.

George Stevens

George Henry Stevens

October 24th, 1935 -March 25th, 2014

About these ads

8 comments on “My Jolly Father-In-Law

1. rarasaur says:

I’m sorry for your loss… this was a beautiful memory. :)

2. Julie says:

So sorry to hear of your loss. Prayers and hugs to all of you.

3. I am very sorry for your family’s loss. Thank you for sharing this, and peace be with you during this time.

4. thinkbigmuch says:

Beautiful, Jessie. :)

5. Diane says:

I am so sorry to hear this. Give John my best. So sad. He looks like a very JOLLY man! Bless you both.

6. Becky says:

Ohhh, I’m so sorry for your loss. I was hoping the ending would be different :( My heart goes out to you and your family.
    This was a beautiful tribute to what sounds like a wonderful man. Just look at that smile, and the twinkle in his eyes!! Thank you for sharing this moment with us – blessings to all of you.
    Becky

7. Katie Sal says:

Hugs from our family to yours- hugs now, in these moments of “doing” of “taking care of things…” but also hugs in the quiet spaces and moments of memory that may sneak upon you. It is not fair nor fun…it just is.
    Katie & Jeff

8. I’m sorry for your loss, but what a lovely tribute.