Hundred Push Ups Anyone?

Once upon a time…

I found a website with a program where the goal was one hundred consecutive push ups no matter how many you could do to start with. I thought this was excellent and started the program. After a few weeks I was able to do 50 consecutive push ups.

Then I started having trouble with my back hurting.

Then I found out I was three months pregnant.

Then I quit.

The End.

Now I’m trying again, because…

1) Once my Mom told me if you are going to do one thing for exercise it should be a push up, and I always do what my Mom tells me to.

2) Spring is coming and I need muscles to do fun things like paddlemove sheep and hang laundry on the line.

3) My jeans do not stretch quite enough to keep up with the stretching my middle is doing.

4)John hates push ups. Therefore he doesn’t want to do them with me. Therefore I will soon be able to do more push ups than him. This gives me bragging/teasing rights over my husband. This is always a good thing!

5) Lets be honest, being able to do a hundred push ups would just be pretty awesome!

So I’ve started the program again and to keep myself on task I’m telling all of you.  (Theoretically there is a push up logger that will automatically tweet things for me when I do my workouts, but right now it’s smarter than me…) Admittedly I’m also hoping someone might want to join me, anyone? anyone? If so, you can follow the link in the picture below to the website, it’s easy to get started, it’s only a few minutes three times a week, and all the cool kids are doing it…

Anyone?

Anyone?

14 comments on “Hundred Push Ups Anyone?

I would like to join you.

2. Susie says:

I’m glad that you’re thinking sheep!

Always, thinking sheep, I like to have lots of animals to shuffle around in the summer. Keeps me from shuffling furniture and cutting holes in the walls!

3. John says:

You’re a snot. And yes, I do hate push ups. But like the Billy goat said to the troll “bring it ya’ punk”

OK, John and I have done the initial test to find where to start. So far I can still do three more push ups than he can, with less grunting.

🙂

If you haven’t started right away don’t worry, it says it’s a six week program but last time I got “stuck” on one of the weeks for quite awhile. We are only interested in bragging rights to get to 100 not how long it takes to get there!

Other news is that I can’t get the push up logger to work 😦 but that those of you who are facebook users (you know the entire world but me) can do a log through there if you are interested.

4. Erica says:

I’m in!

5. Cara says:

My daughter (13) and I are in. I have a long way to go. Sadly I couldn’t do more then one with proper form. I may be starting with modified. Molly did less than i expected for a moderately athletic twig. We may start on Thursday.

6. Cara says:

Way to go, trumping John’s count. At this point we are not telling anyone else in the house about it.

7. Jessie says:

Yeah! I’m glad your all going to do it too! I was trying to think of a fun way where we could keep each other updated. Maybe I’ll just do a weekly post… hmmm… once again wishing I was more computer savvy than I am!!!

Cara I think it’s great that you and your daughter are doing it. And for what it’s worth I think taking this kind of challenge when you can’t do more than one is even more impressive than if you can already do some. Way to go!

8. John says:

I think that I will be taking a new outlook on this whole thing and just take pride in the fact that my wife can do more push ups than my friends….. and take comfort in the fact that I can at least pick up the heaviest rocks on our little farm (I know it’s a weird measuring stick, but an appropriate one for here).

9. Cara says:

John, I think that is a great outlook.

I made a spreadsheet anyone can edit. I started a few columns, but feel free to change to fit the data you would track. https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkCenthS4rIwdFowaS1ja1JmNEtraFFYalhOY1JNSlE&hl=en&authkey=CNvHxIQB If the link isnt live, copy and paste to a browser. I left it open to edit by anyone with the link.

Awesome Cara! I had no idea these things existed! I’m planning on doing a little update post this week and I’ll put the link in it. I added me and John’s stuff to it so far as well as totals. I think if everyone is willing to share how they were doing it would be really fun to see how many push ups we all do combined!

• Cara says:

I added mine. Thanks for putting in the totals. I am doing them from the knee so i can see some progress. If i make it to the end, i I’ll start over with the full version. So sad about how far i have let myself go. Had a stern warning about lifting anything due to a surgery about a year ago and have been diligent about letting other people do any heavy work and realizing it is really true. If you don’t use it you lose it.