The Indecisive Chicken

My last week has been consumed with the frantic finishing (and starting) of the new mobile chicken coop.  Some times work went more smoothly than others, as you could have perhaps guess from reading about my feelings on the second law of thermodynamics, but laws of thermodynamics and all the chickens moved in last night. The new coop is located far out in the pasture away from their old coop in the yard. Many of the chickens spent a happy afternoon scratching through the leaf litter in the woods and poking about decisively on their never ending search for tasty treats. Other chickens slowly made their way back into the yard and familiar territory.

Knowing that chicken bedtime was bound to be a bit interesting just before dusk I grabbed a few pizza crusts and headed outside. I was hoping that I could lure those chickens that had come back into the yard back to the new coop in the pasture.  It started out fantastic. I gave the “hey chickens” whistle and they willingly followed me  right up to the edge of their old home range. Then they’d start looking a little worried, and scoot back into the yard. Meanwhile the chickens out at the new coop in the pasture wanted to come back and eat with the other chickens. They would have come straight back but dark was coming and chickens have a very definite sense of bedtime. They just couldn’t get that far away from the new coop where they knew they could roost for the night.  What followed was a lot of me whistling for chickens and watching them run to the middle no mans land, panic and run back the way they came. On rare occasions a chicken would switch “sides”, but not necessarily in the direction I was hoping for.

I can already hear my Dad saying that a chicken can’t be indecisive, that that would require brains. It is true that chickens don’t have the reputation of being the brightest bird but tonight their little brains were working so hard I could practically hear their thoughts.

They went something like this:

I see some of my friends! I should go see what they are eating! OH, this is getting really far away from my coop… It’s almost dark! I’M ALL BY MYSELF! Which way? WHICH WAY? I see chickens eating, I see chickens roosting, a new coop, my old coop…. OH dear, oh dear….. AHHH I CAN’T TAKE IT!

and the chicken would sprint back the direction it came from.

It would have been more amusing had it not culminated in me carrying 25 of my 35 chickens from the fence in the yard  out to their new home.

So if your Sunday evening is looking dull, just come on over. You can watch indecisive chickens panic over which direction to head followed by me carry piles of chickens through the dark to their proper location.

Who needs a T.V. when you’ve got entertainment like that?

15 comments on “The Indecisive Chicken

1. Uncle Weasel says:

The chickens are working you!

Holy cow! I mean chicken! I mean I didn’t know there was such a thing as a mobile/portable chicken coop! Have I been missing out? But more importantly is there a reason for a mobile chicken coop? Do they need to be off in the farthest reaches of the 40?

Corky, From your comments I suspect you have never had 35 chickens scratching for bugs in your vegetable or flower garden!!! The first day they all headed to the patch of garlic mustard in the woods. Watching garlic mustard get ripped out by chicken toes is much better than watching them flatten my actual garlic! Also once the pigs and sheep get here I’m hoping they’ll do a good clean up job on any food the pigs spill and break up poop piles out in the pasture, eat fly larva, stuff like that. Then come fall/winter we can wheel them back into the yard for easy winter care. Aren’t you glad you asked?

I love your new coop! I want one of those too!

4. thinkbigmuch says:

It’s awesome! Way to go! I would never be training my chickens to jump that high though. That would be just encouraging them to run the neighborhood! 🙂

5. mom says:

Ahemmm!
    I think it might be worth noting that the coop did not spring up in your pasture and that the most wonderful mother in the world drove it very slowwwly from Pewaukee(where the most wonderful father in the world put it together)to Cambridge in one loooong 2hour and 45 minute trip!!!Top speed 25mph. I’m sure everyone who stopped to stare was sure the gypsy’s were moving in!

• Corky says:

I guess that trip ruled out I-94!
      Which wonderful Mom/Dad/child designed that sucker?

It was designed by child with inspiration from the internet and then the most wonderful father in the world helped make the design practical and figured out how to build it.

Thank you Mother Dearest you are clearly the best mother in the whole world! And after you hauled my new chicken coop here then you hauled away a dead racoon. No daughter could ask for more!

• Johnny says:

That must be an awesome mother! I know of a certain mother who would even drive a certain son that far!

6. […] off the fence and relocating them to their new home. For the full details of the drama look at The Indecisive Chicken.  Other than that trouble which time should solve I’m very happy with the new plan. The […]

7. […] While you may be inclined to believe that the above was a fantastical fairy tell let me assure you that it was all true. Except that if you read this to Clara she would point out that it is actually the brooder house. And, while the ducks are going to be temporary tenants, true chickens rarely grace it’s hallowed walls, they have their own perfect coop. […]

8. […] The Indecisive Chicken or When Chickens Fly […]