Hotel Vendôme by Danielle Steel

I need some help, I’ve been thinking about this for a few days and I can’t come up with the right word or phrase.

What is it called when an author uses dialogue to progress the story and make a point and then the omniscient narrator explains that point/progression again?

Repetitive? Annoying? Artificially stretching the length of a book? Ridiculous? Irritating?

Is there a phrase for this? Help me out?

Would I recommend it? Well, according to the back of the book she’s sold 590 million novels… but I’m not buying them. I’m not trying to be all “I only read high class literature” or anything here. I read plenty of fluffy, crap, books and thoroughly enjoy them. It’s just that while I was reading this I was afraid it was making me dumber, then I sat down to write about it and find that it may have actually broken my brain somewhat. Personally I’d trade this in for one of Janet Evanovich’s romances, they are funnier, better, yet still mindless feel good fluff.

Are you a Danielle Steel fan? Did I pick the wrong book? Why do you love them? Help me understand!

As a positive I now know how to make a Ô.  Hopefully learning about circumflex accents helps make up for any other brain damage that may have occurred!

14 comments on “Hotel Vendôme by Danielle Steel

1. Sean Schultz says:

Jessie, I am a friend of Annette’s who turned me on to your wonderful blog. LOVE IT! RE: DS. Ughh! Worst writer of all time and why do we keep buying – and reading – her stuff? So repetitive, so formulaic. Who the hell edits these things? Each one could be cut by 100 pages to get rid of all the repeated dialogue and then they would be novellas. And yet she keeps churning them out and, in spite of myself, when there is NOTHING ELSE TO READ, I pick up her latest. But only from the library. Wouldn’t buy one on a bet!

Hi! Thanks for the blog compliments, glad you like it! Also glad to hear I’m not the only one who thinks her books could be cut by 100 pages. You also bring up a good point, often when there is nothing else around, you can still find one of her novels hiding in the corner, they are everywhere!

• thinkbigmuch says:

Similarly I was going to say that the only time I’ve read one is when I’ve been at the cabin and people have left them lying around. If I finish my book in the northwoods, there is little choice but to read whatever is there.

2. Erica says:

That particular Danielle Steel book is currently one of the highest circulating books in my library (because it’s relatively new). I don’t get it either. People come in and say things like, “I’ve read all of her books!” or “This book is so great, have you read it?” I keep thinking someday I’ll read one just to see what it’s like, but then people who have taste in books that is similar to me tell me things like this. The same goes for Nicholas Sparks, James Patterson, and John Sanford. I have other things I actually want to read, and even though these authors are prolific and popular, doesn’t mean I want to read them. This is especially true if I’ve just watched Cosmos and realize exactly how few books a person can read in a lifetime.

• thinkbigmuch says:

I like Patterson but have NEVER like Sparks. Ick. Those books are all the rave but I keep “waiting for it to get good” and then, I’m left waiting after I read the last page.

I think I have read just one or two of Patterson’s mostly I’m afraid they’ll give me nightmares for life so I avoid them. I have also read one or two Nicholas Sparks and ended up drowning in a sea of Kleenex – it was exhausting. If I’m going to be that tired I’d like something more to show for it! Finally I have no idea who John Sanford is.

Also I have an adversion to reading the popular books. The more people who rave about a book and the bigger the display I see at Barnes and Nobel the more suspicions I get… I’ve got contrary issues, what can I say!?

I was very surprised to see you read one of Steel’s books. When I first got hooked to reading in my late teen years her books were the ones that I found and loved. You only need to read a few to see her pattern of events in each book – life is wonderful, then some tragic thing happens and then ends with life being wonderful again. I do have favorites of hers, but it has been 20+ years since I read them. Message from Nam, Wanderlust, and The Ring are the titles that I remember being my favorites. I agree with you about them being longer than necessary but I am also thankful for the lengthy books because they are the books that helped build my confidence in being able to read a very thick book.

That stage of reading does seem like the perfect time for her books, and it is sometimes nice to pick up a book and know you will be getting to a wonderful ending instead of a tear jerker!

I have actually read one other of hers, when I was in the book club with you. I didn’t remember hating it at the time so when this one was recommended I thought I’d try it out again.

4. Susie says:

I think Jenny hit the nail on the head. The predictability of the books makes them comforting and desirable. Readers know what to expect and can perhaps identify with the tragedy, and dream with the return to perfection. Often I hear something along these lines at the library…it was (horrible, silly, uninteresting, bad), but it is so popular! Why? I just reply that popularity isn’t any indication that a given reader/viewer/listener will enjoy it.

5. John says:

Sounds like her writing is the pop-music of the literary world. Like she is the library’s version of the spice girls or newest boy band. Repetitive, sounds like the last thing with minor differences, lots of people expose themselves to it against their better judgement and when you look back at it, you can’t really say what it was that you liked about it, but you recognize that there was something about it that you liked. Even if it was junk. I’m just guessing though. I think my Stormy Kromer would get revoked if I was caught reading Steel. At very least I know to stay away when my book screener says to.

6. Kathleen says:

Hi there! I actually just came online to see if anyone else had noticed this about Steel’s writing or if it was just me being picky. This book and “44 Charles Street” are the only Steel books I have read in probably 10 years, but they both seemed so badly written. I have read a few of her books before but I don’t remember them being so repetitive….”Jennifer, her father’s assistant”….YES, I KNOW who she is, I have been reading about her for 3 chapters now! Is anyone even editing these books? Anyhow, I guess I am not the only one feeling this way.