Still Here

She’s still here.

I catch glimpses of her happily bounding through the field with the other dogs.

Her gawky, grass stained, adolescent face makes grin when I see the chew marks on the counter tops.Piper looking down

Out of the corner of my eye I see her flopping down on the bed with a giant sigh.

When I walk by the apple trees, she’s still overseeing the planting operation.Piper by apple tree

The sound of running paws on the porch finds me bracing myself for the crash against the door that doesn’t come.

She’s still here.

But now, as we make plans to move, I wonder, once we are gone, where will I see her then?

Written in response to Prompts for the Promptless Episode 10 – Saudade hosted by Rarasaur.

If like me you have no idea what Saudade means here is Rarasaur’s definition:

“Saudade is a Portuguese word that describes a deep emotional state of nostalgic longing for an absent something/someone that one loves. Moreover, it often carries a repressed knowledge that the object of longing will never return.”

10 comments on “Still Here

1. the other Jessie says:

I have Saudade for Piper!. Sometimes I see Piper in Finley. In her preference for the comfort of a couch or bed…her need to step on feet (on purpose)…and the way that instead of gently laying down next to you she drops and hits your hip or thigh with her hip, and it is painful. But I have never lost Finley in my apartment only to find her sleeping soundly in the bathtub.

Oh and sometimes she hits other dogs on the head with her paw. She can’t pull that one off as well as Piper because is isn’t big enough to flatten the other dog.

2. Katie Sal says:

Oh my gosh, yesterday I had the twins out in the stroller and Joe was tricycling along the sidewalk and out of the corner of my eye I saw a gal walking with a gangly-but-elegant brindle Dane- “teenager” puppy and my breath caught! And in that moment the three kids, two dogs, and one move disappeared and I was Bucky’s mom (owner? person of care?…whatever). I almost approached the lady just to say I had a Dane and, and, and… but didn’t. I just smiled at those memories (for .3seconds). I think you’ll still see Piperoni, regardless of your residence! 🙂

You have me in tears, Jessie.

4. likeitiz says:

Hi Jessie. I see you have or had a Great Dane. We recently rescued a Great Dane. He’s now 18 months old. His name is Beau. And we love him!

Next time…..tissue alert. You have so many wonderful memories of Piper.

6. […] Hero – #64 / Hyperlocal Hero – #65 / Not The Family Business – Saudade / Behind the Willows – Still Here / One Starving Activist – Gramma / Peace Wisdom Prosperity – Abysmal Saudade for […]

7. rarasaur says:

A touching, living memory! *hugs*

8. Gail says:

This was so sweet. She is beautiful. I believe they are always with us in spirit.