Stone Soup

We’ve always involved the kids in the kitchen and while it is true that the new stirrers make giant messes, and the new choppers need extra knife supervision and they all make the kitchen 12 times more messy that it would be otherwise, it’s been mostly worth it.

Because, despite the frustratingly slow rate at which the giant mess and the meal gets made, cooking with the kids is usually an enjoyable experience. And now, all that mess and extra time is starting to pay off. I have girls that can grate cheese and stir without spilling. Kids that peel garlic and chop onions and one girl who is really good at making piles of flour and then slowly transferring the entire pile to her shirt and the floor.

But the best part is that they are now starting to take initiative in the kitchen. Ivy has (with help on the heavy pots) cooked dinner for us, Clara can be found making her own peanut butter and jelly sandwich and Jane can turn a giant pot of perfectly good turkey stock into stone soup.Stone Soup

Mostly worth it.

9 comments on “Stone Soup

1. Julie says:

Brave! I personally never liked the mess.
    But I do agree its good for them and hopefully they’ll eat what they help prepare. Besides kids not in my kitchen I never found a husband there either. Lucky you.

Our kitchens so full of help somedays I don’t get in it – it’s great! John has been taking over a lot of the cooking, and since he makes excellent food I’m all for it!

2. dianeschuller.com says:

oh yes, and since I’ve had a stroke we’ve had a similar experience only the adult version: my husband is having to learn how to cook and find his way around the kitchen. It’s great that you are including them in the kitchen – -they will thank you one day

3. Becky says:

You are such an awesome mom! It takes a lot of patience to have “little hands” in the kitchen! With those 3 in the kitchen with you – I think you are going to have some more wonderful surprises 🙂 Keep up the great work!

Stone Soup! And I thought you were referencing that folk tale. Oh well, in fact you did. 🙂 Maybe, she was waiting for somebody to add the onions and the carrots and the meat. 🙂
    I nearly choked with the ending of your post.

Don’t choke! 🙂 I didn’t ask her what she was thinking although maybe I should have since we have read stone soup. At the time I was afraid that any attention might encourage more soup “help”.