I Got Pooped On Today

I got pooped on today, but it’s all right.

It was just a little bee.honey bee

And I was wearing John’s jacket.

honey bee

During the winter bees won’t defecate in their hive. Instead they wait for a bit of mild weather and then fly out on “cleansing flights”. Which is a very polite way of saying that if you are out walking near the hives when the snow stops and the sun peeks out for a moment you might be lucky enough to get pooped on by bees!Β

29 comments on “I Got Pooped On Today

1. Jesska says:

What kind of hives do you have?

2. This was none of my bees wax.

ECHO ECHO

3. beeblu says:

Gosh, rather large in relation to its body size!

Yes. And thank you for saying so! I thought about saying something about my amazement on the size but it seemed a bit TMI even for bee info. They all piled out of the hive when the sun peeked through the clouds, apparently they were desperate!

4. Kari says:

I thought this was going to be the name of a children’s book you read with the girls! Cool photos!

5. junekearns says:

Is it good luck? Like being pooped on by birds? (As my grandma always used to say to stop me wailing.)

great photos! I didn’t know this fact.

Thanks Jenny. Bee keeping books make it out to be a only about 45 degree all day event. But it seems more like they seize the moment when ever they can. It was late afternoon and in the 20s when I took these photos.

7. aishwarya148 says:

Such great shots Jessie! And also, I have a friend studying bee behavior (he is a researcher too!) and I’ll share this fact with him… For a change maybe I can teach him something?? Haha…

8. Stunning shots! πŸ˜€ There are worse things than bees to get pooped on by. Does bee poo smell of honey?

9. Dan says:

Wow, I’ve never considered that bees poop (I mean, of course they do) – much less that they do it by routine! Amazing pictures nonetheless

10. dianeschuller.com says:

okay, I did not know that. You make all these interesting tidbits sound like fun, including getting pooped on!

This is an interesting tidbit. It is fun to know about nature around us. πŸ™‚

12. […] we looked through the dead hive evidence of cleansing flights from the live hive was all around us and they appear to be doing fine. I’m crossing my […]