How do you spell…

In case you haven’t noticed (because spell check and John usually see these posts before you do) I am, have always been, and likely always will be, a terrible speller.

In new spelling lows, I have successfully taught my phone how to spell tomorrow incorrectly. That’s right, my phone now auto completes to a misspelled word. I am also learning Portuguese on Duolingo.com (Are you learning a language on Duolingo too? Lets be friends!) and I get lots of answers wrong because they are misspelled – in English. It seems the program will give you a break if you spell a word wrong in the language you are learning but it expects you to know your native tongue.

I mention this not look for sympathy or advice but simply because I’d like you all to believe me when I say I’m a terrible speller. Because, unfortunately for us all, my kids do not.

Kid -“Hey Mom! How do you spell tomorrow?”

Me- “I don’t know, just try it.”

Kid- “No, just tell me how to spell it!”

Me- “I don’t know! With a “T”. ”

Kid- ” ARGGHHH! Why are you being so mean!!!”

Me- “I’m not. I just don’t know how to spell it.  You’ll have to figure it out.”

Kid- “Yes you doooo, you are just being meeaaannn.”

Me- *throws arms up in exasperation and leaves the room*dscn7917-2sm

Sadly, since they don’t believe me, they don’t stop asking and “How do you spell…” is fast becoming one of my new dreaded phrases. Even Jane is in on it now.  Just the other day she asked, “Mom, how do you spell “how to regret your salmon?”.

And, in the worst news of all, not only was I unsure how to spell that, I couldn’t even figure out why she wanted to know.

14 comments on “How do you spell…

1. Dan says:

Oh Jessie! This made my morning! This is a quintessential Behind The Willows post (yes, I had to look that up)😊

I used to be a good speller at school but now I struggle with words I used to know, especially those with Cs like licence.. it doesn’t help that most spell checkers want to put Zs everywhere which I’m sure aren’t right..

I was always a terrible speller at school, in grade school I”d get all A’s and B’s and then C’s in spelling and penmanship… somethings never change…. 😀

2. jenanita01 says:

I am using my approaching senility as a shield against this sort or thing these days, and it gets me out of so many awkward situations. I am developing a smug grin because of it, too…

3. “… he must have little genius who can’t spell a word in more than one way.”(attributed to Mark Twain)
    I can spell, but can’t type.

Sometimes when I’m typing my fingers try to take over the spelling job for my brain but they aren’t any better at it. There are a few words like “don’t” that often come out of my typing fingers wrong even though it is a word I know how to spell!

4. Made me smile too! Easy way to save yourself is to get a good dictionary and have the girls look up the word. And they can get credit from the teacher for doing that! Happy days!

Yes but see… the dictionary only helps if you can mostly spell a word right. Those of us who are such bad spellers that spell check gives up on us don’t even know where to start. Hopefully my girls won’t be quite that bad a dictionary will help them!

5. Widdershins says:

Get ’em a dictionary. One of those giant ones that you find on the back shelves of old 2nd-hand bookshops. Every time they ask, just plonk it down on the table in front of them! The answer to the ‘salmon’ question will probably be in there too! 😀

See now you sounds like my dad. He always gave me a dictionary when I didn’t know how to spell something. The problem is, if you REALLY can’t spell a word it’s REALLY hard to mostly impossible to find in a dictionary- alphabetical order and all… 😉

6. Sharon says:

I am so bad at it. It can be embarrassing at work sometime but then I think, so what we all have our problems and it is so unimportant to know how to spell!! Girls can learn how to use the dictionary. I used to spell tomorrow with 2 of the letter m. Until I taught myself that it is to morrow

Oh! I think you just fixed my tomorrow. Thank you! Morrow is a day I know! See, lots of reading, I have a very nice vocabulary, I just don’t know how to spell much of it! 🙂