Happy New Year!

I lay in the bed, covers chilled from John’s hasty exit, gathering my courage to face the first morning of the new year, thinking it was a good thing I’m not one of those that sees signs in everything.

Ivy had rushed into our room waking us up with a full volume news bulletin on the state of the carpet upstairs. I will spare you the details of the mess in the girls room. Just let me say that it required two adults using a roll of paper towels, a scoop shovel, rubber boots, three plastic grocery bags, a trip to the store for supplies and a steam cleaner to get rid of it.

The dogs must have been having a New Year’s Eve bash of their own last night because clearly one of them is not feeling well.

This morning was not what one would call an auspicious start to the new year, but as I said, I refuse to prescribe to such things as signs and omens. And after all, this year has no where to go but up!

Here’s to a new year; it’s certain to be full of messes and likely to be worth it!

John, Jessie and girls

This frighteningly accurate portrayal of my family was taken by my Aunt Helen.

Happy New Year!

9 comments on “Happy New Year!

1. Julie says:

Beautiful family.
    Happy New Year.

2. thinkbigmuch says:

I LOVE that photo. Even if john no longer likes me. Clara’s facial expression makes me laugh out loud every. Single. Time. Only cause I know and love that girl.

3. Ah yes… We no longer have the “dog-mess-early warning system” living in our home. She’s grown up and has a dog of her own now. So the house is very quiet most nights, but there is nothing like being awakened by the sound of canine projectile vomiting. (or worse) Yikes.

Happy New Year!

Canine projectile vomit has John leaping out of bed like no other. If I ever really want him up in the morning I should find an alarm clock that makes that sound – he’d never get around to hitting the snooze button then!

Oh Jessie, hilarious! And that picture is so priceless! Love it!

5. Susie says:

I am sorry about your carpet mess and even more sorry about your library book mess (per your tweet.) Happy New Year!

Yes we’ve had quite a few messes this week. The library books was extra sad. I just paid for my “lost” book this afternoon and now I have to get it via library loan if I want to find out how it ends. The librarians did thank me for not returning it though- first time I’ve had that happen! 🙂

What a lovely photo of your beautiful family. Happy new year … there will certainly be mess and all, but that’s part of the ‘happy’ I guess. 🙂